Things we know and do not know about Ferguson, Missouri:
1. We do know that a young man was shot and killed on a street in Ferguson.
2. We do not know what led up to that shooting or the states of mind of both the police officer or the young man.
3. We do know that there are people who have stepped forward to be interviewed by the press alleging that the police officer shot the young man while the young man had his hands up in the air.
4. We do know that none of these “witnesses” have given their testimony under oath or to a law enforcement officer.
5. We do know that the overwhelming majority of the protesters in Ferguson are peaceful and want justice done.
6. We do know that a small minority of the people on the street are taking advantage of the overwhelming majority to commit acts of terrorism and other crimes like property damage.
7. We do know that the local police in Ferguson over reacted in the wake of the shooting by deploying a militarized response.
8. We may know that the young man may have had a history of anger reactions (his parents have averred to this) and may have been involved in a robbery minutes before the encounter with the police officer.
9. We do know that the local police in Ferguson needs serious empathy training.
10. We do know that the police chief in Ferguson has no sense of doing what is right with respect to investigations and public relations.
11. We do know that Captain Ron Johnson of the State Police is doing a great job calming people down so that peaceful demonstrations can be had and their voices heard.
12. We do know that all the facts have not come out about this tragic event.
AS ARMCHAIR JURISTS, WE NEED TO REMAIN CALM AND LET JUSTICE TAKE ITS COURSE. WE DO NOT NEED TO RANT ABOUT WHAT IS HAPPENING IN FERGUSON OR WHETHER THE POLICE OFFICER WAS OR WAS NOT JUSTIFIED IN SHOOTING MIKE BROWN.
We owe this to Michael Brown, his family, the citizens of Ferguson, Missouri, and ….. to Darren Wilson.